- Head and Shoulders
Head, Shoulder, Knee No Toes. 1-2-3-4.
Please form a circle for a movement exercise designed for create failure.
This is counting warm up where players replace numbers in the sequence with specific movements. Get the group finding a nice rhythm with everyone counting 1-2-3-4. Each number is associated with a specific movement.
- touch your head with both hands
- touch your shoulders with both hands
- slap your hips with both hands
- touch your knees with both hand
Once the group has associated the numbers with the movements the warm up can start.
- First wave players say 1-2-3-4 with no moves. Repeat once
- Second wave head touch replaces saying 1, and players say 2-3-4. Repeat once
- Third wave head touch replaces 1, shoulder touch replaces 2, then players say 3-4. Repeat once
- Fourth wave head touch for 1, shoulder touch for 2, hip slap replaces 3, then players say 4. Repeat once.
- Fifth wave is all four movements and no speaking. Repeat once.
Players will usually get flummoxed by these senseless directions at some point. The leader can discuss that failing with grace and laughter is a key element of improvisation. It also allows the group to be supportive. With some groups this can be played as an elimination warm up. Speeding up the 1-2-3-4 rhythm each time a player is out of the circle.
- Go too fast
- Add hard to do gestures, like slap left foot.
- Add additional numbers and gestures.
Heads up would be great.Continue reading →